Working aside talented chefs and project managers, the culinary intern is an integral member of the kitchen team and will gain valuable experience in menu development, recipe formulation, facilities management and the day-to-day operations of a dynamic test kitchen. The intern’s time is split between hands-on kitchen work, procurement and culinary-related administrative tasks. They assist the kitchen team by prepping ingredients, maintaining the kitchen space, equipment and supplies, and entering recipes into our recipe database. They also contribute to the creation of kitchen/ restaurant operations materials and creative culinary development and conduct research on ingredients, packaging, vendors and concepts. –
Required Experience, Skill Set and Attributes:
- Ability to make excellent food, even with less-than-ideal or limited ingredients
- Equally confident and comfortable creating food in a test kitchen, a fine dining restaurant or in a quick service facility
- You understand and can manage recipe documentation
- Strong written and verbal communication, professional demeanor
- Able to manage heavy workload, prioritize well and meet deadlines
- Resourceful, flexible and able to creatively solve problems
- Proactive and reliable to fellow team members and managers
- Impeccable attention to detail and minimal errors
- Passionate about food, cooking, trends and dining
- You are a team player, flexible, easy-going and you have a sense of humor
- University degree; culinary school a plus
- Minimum of 1-2 years experience in a professional restaurant kitchen is a must. Everyone on the kitchen team must possess a deep understanding of the operational and business challenges that our clients encounter in order to successfully contribute to the work that we do.
- A strong working knowledge of both Microsoft and Mac office suites
- Your own laptop
Responsibilities and training opportunities:
Some of the responsibilities for the Culinary Intern include, but are not limited to:
- Support chefs and project team on client projects
- Help Chefs develop recipes and menu items for client projects. Includes food, ingredient and menu preparation.
- Accurately formulate, test and document all recipes and formulations using standard forms and procedures, including entering recipe data in Chef Tec software
- Responsible for managing your schedule, and knowing the kitchen production and client deliverable schedule
- Shop and run errands for ingredients, supplies and materials
- Shipping and receiving ingredients
- Assist in the creation of kitchen operations materials for client projects
- Research ingredients, vendors, equipment, packaging, and restaurant and culinary concepts
- Maintain cleanliness of work station, storage area and kitchen
This is a training internship but we do require experience in the field and you must have graduated from culinary school or a four year University in Food Science, or another related program.
Research and development chef. Also supports culinary team.
Hours will be different every week and are flexible, but an average week may be 5 days, between the operating hours of 8:00am-5:30pm (usually Monday- Friday). This is a 32 hour a week, 6-month term internship.
Earliest Start Date:
Internships begin in March and September.
Please send a resume and introduction letter explaining your interest in working with us to firstname.lastname@example.org